Monday, February 1, 2010

The "first" day

NOTE: I may publish multiple posts per day, which were written on different days because of my limited Internet connection. So be sure to check previous posts. Also, more posts are in the works so check back shortly (I hope)!

Today was the first day of school for Rwanda, according to the original plan laid out by the ministry of education. However, it also happened to coincide with a national holiday: veterans day. So, welcome kids to your first day of school... here, have the first day off! In typical Rwandan fashion, the ministry of education announced over the radio yesterday that school would actually start tomorrow and that those going to boarding schools (my kids) should travel today so they can begin their studies bright and early on Tuesday. 

Now, the teachers at my school had a meeting today. I was a bit nervous, it being the first time that I would meet everyone I'd be working with for the next year and possibly longer. I arrived ten minutes early to the meeting that my headmaster said was to start at eight. I was the first one there, which was good and gave me some time to look at my schedule (I am teaching a full day on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, a half day on Wednesday and Friday I have off)!!! Sounds great, although it is still about 25 hrs per week, so I will be keeping busy. More to come on what I am teaching in an upcoming post (coming soon). Other teachers started trickling in and by 10:30 the meeting started. I can't complain about the delay... The extra time gave me a chance to get to know the teachers, and what an amazing, energetic, enthusiastic and friendly group they are!!! I was very impressed, and relieved, by their ability to speak English, but I was mist surprised by their genuine sense of humor, which made for a very warm welcome. This is so encouraging and I have a feeling that we will all make a very good team for teaching. 

I wish I could be so excited for the meeting that followed. It lasted for four straight hours. No breaks, no standing up, no lunch, no water or tea. 95% of the conversation was in kinyarwanda because, understandably, that is the easiest for a majority. I did have a translator, but for the most part it was a very long and drawn out meeting. It is truly remarkable how Rwandans can sit in one place, on wooden chairs or crunched 5 people to a couch, for so long. I've noticed this in many situations like at church, which lasted for 3.5 hrs and in buses, or in my classrooms, which some are scheduled for 2.5 hrs long, all teaching, no labs. In America, this would never fly, especially with students... We are encouraged to give them frequent breaks and to keep things brief and concise in order to keep peoples attention. Yes, taking breaks may be a more effective teaching method, however I think one of the reasons for our short attention span can be attributed the fast food, on demand, instant culture in which we are brought up. 

After the meeting, two of the teachers kindly took me to their home and said I was welcome anytime to hang out, eat, or even sleep. Then we all went out for coke and biscuits and enjoyed good conversation and of course, laughter. A good start to the first day of school!        

No comments: