Friday, March 19, 2010

The Smell of Memory

I've heard it said that smell is the strongest sense for recalling memories. The other day I dug deep into a bag of extra odds and ends that I brought with me from America and pulled out a bottle of lotion that I hadn't used for months. The first thing I noticed as I opened it and lathered it on my hands and then my face was how strong the smell was. Being in Africa, there aren't many scented things - atleast as sweetly scented as what Americans are used to. It's like our smell has been desensitized; what used to be a rather weak smelling lotion was now overwhelming to me.
 
And with the overwhelming smell came a flood of memories (I'd used the same lotion for a few years)... and not just pictures of events, but the emotions and the friendships engrained in those moments of time: the late nights spent finishing that physics homework assignment, the oh-so-good cold pizza in the greasy Rascal House Pizza box on the counter in our apartment leftover from a roommate's special event, the feeling of being clean and well shaven after a hot shower, my dimly lit room with all its decorations in just their right places hanging on the walls while I lay on my bed chatting to a friend on the phone, the anticipation of a date with a special someone, the heartbreak, the excitement of dressing up in a tuxedo for a choir concert, or a suit for a night at the orchestra... 

I never knew a bottle of lotion knew me so well.             

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Smelly is definitely the scent that brings me back the most memories. To this day, the smell of Geraniums (not the flower, just the smell of the branches and the greenness) instantly takes be back to when we used to live at my grandparents nursery and had a greenhouse attached to the side of our house.

Good times. Amazing how we can be reminded of things from 20 years ago by just a whiff of a scent.

Keep living the dream and serving God buddy. I hope all is well for you.

~The Varganator