Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Rwanda!!

In case you haven't heard, I am going to Rwanda! If you haven't heard the details yet or just want to be reminded, here's a little blurb I've thrown together:

"Recently, I have been accepted as a volunteer for WorldTeach (www.worldteach.org), a non-profit organization based at Harvard University, which places teachers in under-developed countries. Leaving the day after Christmas, I will be venturing to Rwanda to teach math and science for the next year to a year and a half.

Rwanda is a country most widely known for the 1994 genocide, but too often overlooked for its unprecedented strides toward healing and rebuilding. Its people are determined to become leaders in development for the rest of the continent. Yet, many challenges remain. With 60% of Rwandans living on less than a dollar a day and 42% under the age of fifteen, education and hope are essential to Rwanda.

As a WorldTeach volunteer, I will be teaching high school students in math and science. Outside of the classroom, I will be involved in the community through activities such as coaching soccer, organizing science projects, or helping at a local church. Furthermore, Rwanda’s focus on development, particularly in technology, is a perfect fit for me as an engineer, as my long term goal is to help implement renewable energy for developing communities!"

OK, more to come!

“The Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted… to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes…They will rebuild the ancient ruins and restore the places long devastated.” Isaiah 61:1-4

No comments: